The Habich GmbH has been founded in 1846 by
Hermann Martin Habich as "Chemische Farbenfabrik H.M. Habich AG".
Today it is still a private company owned by descendants of the
At its beginning the company produced earth colours and blends of inorganic
and organic colour pigments. The products were mainly
sold in the countries of the Habsburg Empire and in the
Balkan Area. In 1921 the company moved to Weitenegg.
After the Second World War the company were
managed by the Russian occupation forces for ten years. In
1955 it was
returned to the owners and the production of Chrome
Yellow, Molybdate Orange and Ultramarine Blue pigments was
restarted. At the same time the company developed chrome-based
anti-corrosive pigments for the steel industry.
This range of products
was extended by phosphate-based anti-corrosive pigments in the
1970s (Zinc Phosphate, Chrome(III) Phosphate, etc). In order to
offer products with improved anti-corrosive properties, enhanced
non-toxic anti-corrosive pigments have been placed on the market
recently. The anti-corrosive pigments are sold under the brand
As the market is looking for non-toxic
alternatives to Chrome Yellow and Molybdate Orange, Habich
GmbH recently introduced Bismuth Vanadate and modified Bismuth Vanadate
pigments. The modified Bismuth Vanadates are especially designed
to offer one for one replacement for the coatings and plastic industry.